Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer
Bicycle-car accidents are rising, largely because drivers are increasingly distracted, with the mobile being the number 1 distraction. The fact is, bicycle riders are rarely at fault in these types of accidents. This has been backed by data from Vancouver City council that found 90% of bicycle-car accidents had the car’s driver at fault.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, it is highly advisable to talk to a bicycle accident injury lawyer to find out if you are entitled to compensation. A personal injury lawyer can help navigate your claim and aid in getting proper compensation for injuries that have occurred.
Types Of Bicycle-Car Accidents
There are several common scenarios observed in accidents involving cars and bicycles:
- Car crossing the path of a cyclist: This happens when a driver is not observant when making a turn, crossing the car into the path of a cyclist coming from behind. The Motor Vehicle Act Sections 159 and 160 places the fault on the driver in such a scenario, because it is prohibited to turn to the left while it is not safe.
- Cyclist impact with a car door: This happens when a driver opens the door without regard to a cyclist on the traffic side. This is prohibited by Motor Vehicle Act 203. It also prohibits leaving a car’s door open in on the side of oncoming traffic, longer than it is necessary to load or unload passengers and cargo.
- Bike-car collision at crosswalks
- Inappropriate following distance by either cyclist or driver
Hit & Run Accidents
In the case where the cyclist has been hit and left at the scene, medical attention is the first priority. You should then contact a bicycle accident injury lawyer to follow up on the police report. The ICBC has a special cover for hit and run accidents, which the lawyer will also follow-up. The lawyer will also scrutinize your homeowner’s insurance to check if you are covered for bicycle accidents. If you have been a bicycle driver who was injured in a hit & run accident, and require a hit & run lawyer contact us for a free case evaluation.
Road Defect Accident
Some accidents will occur because of defects on the road that force the cyclist or driver to act erroneously. In this type of accident, you will need to prove that negligent construction and/or maintenance caused the accident.
Compensation varies from case to case. Some of the factors that determine the amount of compensation include:
- Extent of physical harm and injury
- Medical bills accrued
- Lost wages
- Loss of day to day housekeeping abilities
How Can Ng Sidhu Law Help?
A bicycle accident injury lawyer will launch an investigation into your accident as quickly as possible. This is to layout the truthful facts of the case. Our lawyer will also force the insurance company to settle as much as possible in compensation. Our lawyers are experienced in bicycle accidents cases and will know how to handle your case for quick compensation.