Choosing A Personal Injury Lawyer
Finding a quality personal injury lawyer can be an arduous task. Considering the many lawyers who offer ridiculous guarantees and wistful promises, it is understandable that quality personal injury lawyers are scarce and difficult to find.
Dealing with accidents has never been straightforward, despite how regularly they occur. Major accidents caused by negligence of others could result in huge medical bills, or worse, disability. In such cases, you might be entitled to some form of compensation. It is, thus, understandable that you would want to receive the maximum amount possible for your injuries by hiring a personal injury lawyer.
Note that a quality personal injury lawyer isn’t identified by the far-fetched guarantees they provide. A good personal injury lawyer is aware that every case is different, with a medical report from each accident a major factor in the evaluation of your monetary claim. They also know that the best possible evaluation can only be made after some time has passed after the injury. What is more, a personal injury case can sometimes be fully resolved only after several years have elapsed.
How do you find a quality personal injury lawyer? Your search should go beyond simply identifying the biggest and brightest ads on the yellow pages or bus benches. To be sure that you are hiring the right firm, there are certain criteria you must watch out for.
Criteria For Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer
- A specialized lawyer especially experienced in dealing with auto accident injuries, and who understands all of the nuances involved in filing such claims.
- A lawyer who offers free consultation to allow them carefully listens to your personal situation, asking particular questions about the accident, your injuries, your life and your limitations in order to fully ascertain your claims and chances of compensation.
- The lawyer should be able to state your rights. They should also be able to sufficiently explain the process of your claim, your possible expectations during the course of your lawsuit, and the requisite time limitations you must adhere to.
- The lawyer should be able to provide you with a reasonable estimated case timeline to help you decide whether to pursue your case or not.
- A quality personal injury lawyer should be patient, indicating a personal interest in you, and must be willing to provide you with regular updates as your lawsuit progresses.
- Lawyers with a personal insider knowledge of insurance companies and in BC the ICBC, or those who possess a knowledge of how insurance firms think are better placed to offer candid advice and help.
- A quality personal injury lawyer should not be willing to jump out of court at the first possible opportunity. Lawyers who are willing to go to court and drag out cases are more likely to obtain better settlements for you.
- A lawyer that is willing to work at no initial cost to you are more likely to pursue your case until you win.
It is impossible to lay down all of the markers you must look out for when seeking a quality personal injury lawyer. Be sure to make your own research and speak to the attorney that would be handling your case before making a decision on who to hire. You might also want to consult with multiple lawyers for a clearer decision. Your final choice should be someone you feel comfortable sharing your personal life details with. Ultimately, the choice has to be made. If your choice is made within the right parameters you can expect it to yield rich rewards.